The European university reform agreed in Bologna has undoubtedly meant a profound change in the Spanish university system and an opportunity for improvement that will allow greater mobility for future graduates.
In this adaptation process, the internal quality assurance system plays an essential role, since it allows us to efficiently and effectively achieve the mission that the Faculty has and facilitates accreditation for the continuity of undergraduate degrees, postgraduate and doctorate, in order to obtain the certificate of excellence for all degrees. Within the center's internationalization policy, we were among the first to offer subjects taught in English, which has allowed us to offer the Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration and Management with a bilingual option and the Bilingual Bachelor's Degree in Tourism. This training alternative complements the training of our students and opens the doors to the job market in other European countries or the rest of the world. Likewise, we will continue the internationalization work of the center with the promotion of exchanges of students, teachers and administration and service personnel within the Erasmus program, as well as bilateral agreements with other prestigious universities.
The specialization of our students is guaranteed with the wide range of postgraduate degrees offered, such as the MBA or others related to the management of tourism companies and social economy entities. He also teaches inter-university master's degrees in accounting and finance, career guidance and intermediation, prevention of occupational hazards or local development and employment.
The teaching of the joint Doctorate Program with other Spanish universities allows the training of PhDs in the field of economics and business. In addition, the Faculty has important initiatives to support and foster the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit of its students. Another of the lines that we consider fundamental is to promote the repercussion and transfer to society of the research and knowledge generated in the Faculty. To do this, a Forum on Economy and Society, a web portal to link with companies, the memory of the Faculty along with other initiatives that allow us to maintain and promote permanent contact with economic and social agents such as COEC, Chamber of Commerce, Professional Associations, City Council, Regional Government, etc., that make it easier for us to get to know and keep up to date with the reality of our closest environment, to respond to the needs that society demands of us.
The Faculty currently has an academic offer that materializes in the Degree in Business Administration and Management, the Degree in Tourism and the official university graduate degrees in MBA Master, Master in Administration and Management of Social Economy Entities, Master in Management and Direction of Tourist Institutions and Companies, as well as four more inter-university, Master in Occupational Risk Prevention, Master in Administration and Management of Social Economy Entities (on-line), Master in Labor Orientation and Intermediation, with the University of Murcia, and Master in Accounting and Corporate Finance with the University of Almería. With this brief introduction we welcome you and invite you to visit the Faculty.
In 1877 the first attempt was made to create a 'School of Commerce', a Royal Decree published on August 17, 1877 in the 'Madrid Gazette'. This request was made by three councilors of the Cartagena City Council to the Mayor, at that time Don Leopoldo Cándido and Alejandre. It must be admitted that the Cartagena demand was not taken into consideration. Abandoned the possibility of having a 'School of Commerce', all citizen efforts are concentrated on achieving a 'School of Mining Professionals', and into the 20th century, in the model 'Graduate Schools'.
Business studies began in Cartagena in 1921 with the approval of the RD of September 16, at that time the municipal council Don Manuel Zamora Vivancos governed, which allowed the birth of the Cartagena Business School, under the patronage of the City Council, which for several years covered all its expenses. This Board of Trustees remained until 1940. In 1925 it was included in the Levante Region in compliance with the R.O. of November 8, 1924. On October 18, 1932, they were elevated to the category of Professional School of Commerce, which allowed them to teach the degree of Professor of Commerce. In October 1976 it became the University School of Business Studies, its first Director was Dr. Rosique Jiménez, and it became dependent on the University of Murcia. Since then it has changed its location, giving up the old premises in exchange, and has increased its number of students in a very notable way. Since November 1987, with Dr. Juan Jesús Bernal García as Director, the University School of Business Sciences and subsequent Faculty of Business Sciences, has its headquarters in the Paseo Alfonso XIII building.
Since the Polytechnic University of Cartagena was created by Law 5 of August 3, 1998, the Faculty of Business Sciences has had as Deans, in the first instance, Dr. Juan Jesús Bernal García and later to Dr. D. Juan Patricio Castro Valdivia and Dr. D. Antonio García Sánchez. Currently the Dean is Dr. D. Miguel Ángel Tobarra González, and the seat of the Faculty is the Old Seafarers Training Center (CIM).
Most of this text has been taken from: 'History of the University School of Business Studies (1921-1995)' by Agustín Diéguez González. Publications service of the University of Murcia. ISBN 84-7684-686-X.